Michelle Williams in coral Louis Vuitton
The TV coverage was absolutely shocking - if you're doing Red Carpet shows then please show us the red carpet! We don't want to see polls about who's going to win what taking up the whole screen, we don't want to hear what the kid off Modern Family thinks about anything at all, we want to see the outfits! So simple but every channel seems to get it so wrong. Anyway, rant over and back to the dresses. It wasn't a particularly great year for Oscars fashion for me, with no real WOW moments, but there were still some great looks, including...
1. Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton (above) - top spot for her attention grabbing colour choice and fashion forward gown with that on trend but entirely impractical for an Awards ceremony peplum. Gorgeous jewellery but could have done without that random pink clutch.
2. Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford. A sleek and edgy choice from Gwynnie. Nice to see her taking a bit of a risk and changing her hair up too with the floor length cape putting a red carpet twist on what would otherwise have been a very simple wedding dress. Loving the cuff.
3. Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace. The overall look of this black velvet dress with the softer, blonder hair and glossy lips gave Angelina a softer look than usual but it wasn't without drama thanks to the gown's structured, asymmetric bodice and THAT slit. Her right leg already has it's own twitter. Love it.
4. Jessica Chastain in Alexander McQueen. Originally placed a lot higher in my Best Dressed list, The Help star's heavily embroidered McQueen creation was just exquisite. Her softly waved half up - half down hair (which was beautifully coloured) and neutral make up kept her polished but let this statement dress do all the talking. A great red carpet moment.
5. Milla Jovovitch in Elie Saab Couture. An early arrival, Milla was originally my number one red carpet choice, working the embellished bridal white trend so successfully and oozing old school Hollywood glamour from every supermodel pore. Her make up was divine and this was a true starlet look from perfectly coiffed head to crystal encrusted toe. Safe but still perfection. And props to her for working that dress like a true pro - that thing must weigh an absolute tonne.
All images courtesy of The Telegraph Fashion - click here to see their full Oscars 2012 Red Carpet gallery.